Technical Leadership Development Program – Year 4
Human Capital Development
Report Number: SERC-2013-TR-013-4
Publication Date: 2013-02-28
Project: Developing Systems Engineering Technical Leadership
Dr. Valentin Gavito
In 2009, the Defense Acquisition University (DAU) contracted with the Systems Engineering Research Center (SERC) for Research Task 4 (RT;4) to conduct research and development for a proposed Systems Engineering (SE) technical leadership course (SYS 350) to accelerate technical leadership development of Systems Planning, Research, Development, and Engineering (SPRDE) senior level systems engineers. The RT;4 project developed a prototype leadership course, designated by DAU as SYS350, that is comprised of three 5;day course modules or lenses designated as the SYS350A Systems lens, the SYS350B Business lens, and the SYS350C Enterprise lens.
- Student Course Expectations and Cohort Size: The recommended cohort size should range from twenty to twenty;five students.
- Course Development Approach: An Objective or Focus Area approach is recommended for initial course prototyping. A Seminar or Plenary approach is recommended for post; prototype refinements and sustainment.
- Technical;Behavioral Course Content Ratio and Integration: A 30% Leadership Thread; Technical course content ratio is a recommended starting point.
- Group Project: Technical leadership simulations requiring decision and illustrating consequence are recommended as the Group Project for refinements to all three SYS 350 prototype modules.
- SYS350A Readiness: The prototype SYS350A is ready for transition to DAU.
- SYS350B Readiness: The prototype SYS350B course is in need of a design iteration and third student pilot trial.
- SYS350C Readiness: The prototype SYS350C course is in need of a design iteration and third student pilot trial.